Sunday, August 03, 2008
Because she asked for it
Where else would I turn for the solution other than Google? Eventually, I found this very helpful(!) page which carefully warns you not to try the final "fixes" unless everything else is completely hopeless (the camera's out of warranty and nothing else works).
My problem seemed similar enough to the "lens error" problem to which the solution applied, so, I tried all of the easy fixes, none of which worked. Eventually, I tried fix #7 - forcing the lens. (Your mileage may vary. All warnings and disclaimers apply.) It didn't work the first time, but, it did actually move the lens after a bit of pushing. Once I realized that I should be turning the lens, not pushing it, moving it became easier, and I was eventually able to get it back into the camera. Turning the camera on got the lens stuck again, sometimes giving the "lens error" message on the display. I repeated the process a few times until eventually the camera would turn on and off and be able to zoom the lens. It was risky, but it worked. Once again, the Internet solves an everyday problem, and results in a not very interesting blog post adding more text to the Internet.